Use this link to download and print a copy of our April 2015 Minutes.
Please leave any comments/corrections at the end.
HANDS OF FRIENDSHIP QUILT GUILD
APRIL 15, 2015
The Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild met in Room 202 at the Methodist Church, April 15, 2015. President Di Zook called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
Meredith Willcox thanked everyone for the lovely cards received for her 90th birthday and said she had received more than 100 cards.
Maria Bradshaw and Kim Sampson were guests and joined the Guild tonight.
The minutes were approved as distributed via email & snail mail.
Bonnie Hunter Event:
Linda Pickett updated us on the upcoming September event.
- To date she has received these reservations:
- Thursday, Sepember 17 — 24 reservations
- Friday, September 18 — 27 reservations
- Saturday, September 19 — 34 reservations
- Jane Eitel has met with the Novingier Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Fire Department.
- Security will be needed for the 17th & 18th. Scarlett has done this in the past but is unable to do that this year. Liz Mills volunteered to contact her nephew to see if he would be available and Andrea O’Brien will also check to see if her son, Xavier, would be willing to do that. They will report back.
Jean Nevins’ Silent Auction:
A Thank you card will be sent to the Jean Nevins’ family. Di Zook will get a card and all will sign it at the May meeting. Their donation of Jean’s “stash” brought in a total of $174.70 at the March 18, meeting. Those items leftover have been donated to other groups.
Elsie Gaber made us aware of a dinner at the “Y” on April 25, supporting the program “Strong Kids,” and she has tickets for it. The quilt she & others made from Jean Nevins’ stash will be given away that night.
Kathy East announced she had sent cards to Bob Glasgow while he was hospitalized in St. Louis, and to Meredith Willcox for her 90th birthday.
- Raffle quilt: Alice Allinson showed the raffle quilt, “Magic of Spring” and handed out the packets of tickets.
- General: Chairman of the Quilt Show, Scarlett Ragas, announced the following
- The 30th Annual Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild will be held Friday evening, May 29, and Saturday, May 30 at the YMCA.
- The Committee is thinking about having some demos as we did in past years
- Volunteers are needed for the two demo stations:
- Hand quilting
- Machine piecing
- The entry forms are due MAY 1, which will roll around quickly! Email them to: Scarlett Ragas — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteers are needed to sit at the various vendor’s booths while they eat.
- Ribbons – Meredith Willcox announced the ribbons are under construction.
- Vendors – Marsha Yahl reported she has had to turn one vendor away.
- Theme: “Under the Big Top”. Quilts, wall hangings, etc. with this theme would be appreciated. One person said they had such a piece—Kay would like to display it above the bed used for the “Bed Turning.”
- Advertising: Andrea O’Brien announced where they had placed ads, etc. Someone asked if they had made arrangements to be interviewed on the radio; they had not but the radio station will be contacted. Colored fliers were handed out to all to be placed in various businesses.
SHOW AND TELL:
- Di Zook:
- Announced she has a NEW sewing machine she is learning to use!
- Alice Allinson:
- Colorful bag made from 2 ½” strips
- Bag made from a Ginny Beyer pattern
- Elsie Gaber:
- displayed the quilt she and others put together using the stash of Jean Nevins. It will be donated to the Rotary as the prize for a “reverse raffle”. It came out even and is beautiful! Pictures were taken of everyone with the quilt.
- Rose Marie Smith:
- Mariner’s Bubble Quilt
- Pumpkin Quilt.
- Celia Riggle:
- Project Linus blanket with bears
- Bow Tie Baby Quilt
- Project Linus blanket with circus animals
- Andrea O’Brien:
- An orange/black quilt she made for Kirksville Tiger sporting events
- Baby Quilt in pinks and blacks
- Spider Web quilt she made for a friend’s birthday
- Susan Chidester:
- Table runner using a new piping tool
- Lady in Red
- Four fat quarters place mats
- Yuke’s Garden with folded flowers
- Oriental panel
- A Jacket
- Peggy Clark:
- Beautiful Bonnie Hunter quilt that was quilted by Joan Harrison.
- Kay Beach:
- Fruit and Vegetable picnic quilt
Michele Breault and Barb Bevell presented a program on Small quilts. Michele shared her quilts, including those that were hand pieced, hand appliquéd, a Feathered Star, a Baby Quilt, her Gena Kimball quilt with 6” blocks, a tiny felt item, a quilt made from 3” nine patches, another of 3” mariner’s compass blocks, the 2013 Challenge, a blue & yellow quilt, a black quilt, two Twister quilts in two sizes, a Where’s Waldo in a 6” hexagon and a larger hexagon, a tiny quilt made of hand-pieced stars, and 2- 3” blocks.
Barb and Michele talked about their journeys in life that drew them to quilting and what influenced their love for miniatures and small quilts. Books and patterns were also on display.
Barb shared her quilts, which included a large and small version of the Underground Railroad, several small quilts made from the scraps given to her by friends, a baby-doll quilt, and her current half-square triangle quilt. She also talked about her method of cutting small pieces, sewing “leaders and enders”, and storing fabric.
Several other guild members brought miniatures they had made to share with the group. These were Kathy Krog, Alice Allinson (small Mariner’s Compass and a small paper pieced Tulip quilt with crystals), and Jo Conklin (two small paper pieced quilts).
The meeting was adjourned at 8:48 p.m.
Kathy East, Secretary