Use this link to download and print a copy of our September 2015 minutes.
HANDS OF FRIENDSHIP QUILT GUILD
SEPTEMBER 16, 2015
The Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild met in the 1st Floor meeting room at the First Methodist Church, Kirksville, on September 16, 2015. As the members/friends gathered, Elsie Gaber handed out name tags. This is an effort to have each “oldster” become acquainted with at least one of the “newcomers.” There was also a square of fabric at each place, this being the second fabric we have received. We will be instructed at a later time what to do with these fabrics.
President Di Zook called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m. Visitors welcomed were Lucia Pink and Sandy Catlett. Roll Call was answered by 42 members, revealing their place of birth as the fun question to answer. Many were born in the Kirksville area, but a number of states were represented.
President Di Zook announced the September birthdays.
The minutes were approved as sent out via email and the postal service. Treasurer Joan Harrison presented the Treasurer’s report and called to our attention the money paid to date to cover the costs of the Bonnie Hunter event. She also reminded everyone that dues are now due and payable.
Linda Pickett announced that Bonnie Hunter is in town and several of their committee had supper with her tonight. She is tired from her trip and there was an airplane snafu of some sort, which made her arrival later than planned. She was not at our meeting due to a deadline for her publisher. Security for Thursday and Friday nights will be provided by the son of Diane Bloskovich.
The Thursday class (September 17) will be “Playing with Jacks”, beginning at 2:00 p.m. and finishing at 6:00 p.m. Our members are to park on the west side of the building. The Friday class (September 18) will be “Jared Takes a Wife”, beginning at 9:00 a.m. and finishing at 4:00 p.m., with lunch at 12:30. There will be a buffet available at a cost of $10.00. There are some small restaurants available if you do not wish to take advantage of the buffet. Friday evening, the Trunk Show will begin at 7:00 p.m. Non-members will pay $10.00 at the door and members will “pay” with a dozen cookies for the fellowship that follows.
Six people are needed to “hold” Bonnie Hunter’s quilts at the Trunk Show. Volunteering were Rose Marie Smith, Andrea O’Brien, Di Zook, and Nancy Krueger. Folders will be Bonnie Schultz, Debbie Hudnall, and Kathy Krog. Bonnie Hunter quilts made by our members will be shown as “Show and Tell” items at the event. The Committee was thanked for their work in putting this event together.
Some did not receive “swatches” tonight and Elsie will get a swatch to them at the next meeting.
It was announced we will be unable to use the Fellowship Hall at the Methodist Church for the rest of the year. Because our group is quite large (more than 50) and we have outgrown the room used tonight, it was suggested that perhaps we can meet at the Adair County Annex building for the rest of the year. Di Zook will check tomorrow at the Courthouse on that possibility.
- Gyla Elmore is having back pain again and she will likely be unable to attend the Bonnie Hunter event.
- If anyone knows of a member who is ill, please notify Bonnie Schultz or any other member of that committee.
- Carol Snider reported the committee has not met in a while and will soon in an effort to get caught up.
- Barb Bevell reported we have paid $99.00 to have unlimited space on our Blog. This will be an annual fee.
- Everything is under control.
- The theme for the 2016 Quilt Show will be “Piece ‘n Love.”
- It was suggested that all the members might want to have a tie-dye shirt to wear during the Quilt Show. Andrea O’Brien announced that her husband, John, teaches chemistry at Truman State and one of the projects of his classes is to tie-dye shirts as a fundraiser. If you would want to provide a WHITE 100% cotton t-shirt, they would tie dye it at a cost of $5.00. If you want to buy the t-shirt from them and have it tie-dyed, the cost is $10.00. The money is used for chemicals they use in demonstrations conducted in area school science classes. More information will be given at the October guild meeting.
- It was announced that if new members would like a denim shirt with our logo on it.
- Guild pays $15 toward that purchase.
- Both long sleeve and short sleeve shirts are available.
- Contact Susan Bell in the near future if you want one (she will be leaving shortly for the winter).
- The committee is planning to get together in the near future.
“Quilt ‘Til U Wilt”:
- The next “Quilt ‘Til U Wilt” will be Saturday, October 17, 2015, at the Annex, from 9:00 a.m.-?.
SHOW & TELL:
- Rose Marie Smith:
- Veterans’ quilt sent by her sister;
- Quilt taken from her UFO pile and hand-quilted by Evelyn Himes;
- Quilt hand-quilted by her sister;
- Beverly Compton:
- Geometric table mat;
- Butterfly table mat;
- April Bartlett:
- Lap quilt of denim & cotton in cathedral window pattern;
- Barb Bevell
- She had a “tell.”: Completed quilt in cathedral window pattern with blue jeans;
- Kay Beach:
- “Frogs” quilt for 5 year old great-grandchild;
- Embroidered quilt, entered in Knox County Quilt Show & received a blue ribbon;
- Alice Allinson:
- Blue and yellow quilt;
- Susan Guffey:
- Veteran’s quilt given to Renae;
- Meredith Willcox:
- Embroidered “orphan block” and finished it as a table topper;
- Embroidered table topper;
- Blue/yellow afghan;
- Halloween panel for the door;
- Table runner with iris flowers;
- 50 neck pillows for the Dialysis Clinic.
- Carol Snider:
- Quilt made for a friend from her deceased husband’s t-shirts;
- Stephanie Hettinger:
- Baby quilt made for a new baby boy to be born in November;
- Mary Shoaff:
- Pieced 1 ½” squares cut by her mother and made into “mug rugs”;
- “Twister” wall hanging;
- Cindy Spearman:
- “Row by Row” quilt made from fabrics purchased on Shop Hops (won the prize at Sew Sweet)
- “Scrappy Trips”;
- Kathy East:
- Two veteran’s quilt tops made by Kathy, designed & tied by husband, Stan, which will be given away by next meeting;
- Elsie Gaber:
- Quilt made from men’s ties;
- Diane Jarvis:
- She had a “tell.”: She was testing the speakers on our new system & their dog, Homer, was checking out the speaker. When she said his name, he jumped back like he’d been shot, she decided they worked fine!
- Di Zook:
2015 CHALLENGE QUILT REVEAL:
The 2015 Challenge Quilts were brought, laid out in another room, and judged by all in attendance:
The winners and recipients of a gift certificate from the local quilt shops were:
1st place –a tie:
- Mary Magruder, “Pineapple Blossom,” (entry #5)
- Andrea O’Brien, “Scrappy Mountains;” (entry #12)
3rd place – a tie:
- Di Zook, “Boxy Stars; and (entry #4)
- Marsha Yahl, Scrappy Mountains” (entry #7)
- Marilyn Peck, “Strip Twist” (entry #1)
- Barb Bevell, “Scrappy Mountains” (entry #2)
- Cathy Poyner, “Pineapple Blossom” (entry#3)
- Susan Bell, “Pineapple Blossom” (entry #6)
- Joan Harrison, “Boxy Stars” (entry #8)
- Susan Guffey, “Pineapple Blossom” (entry #9)
- Cindy Spearman, “Boxy Stars” (entry #10)
- Peggy Clark, “Scrappy Mountains” (entry #11)
- Celia Riggle, “Scrappy Mountains” (entry #13)
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Kathy East, Secretary