HANDS OF FRIENDSHIP QUILT GUILD
AUGUST 17, 2016
The Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild met at the Adair County Annex, Kirksville, on Wednesday, August 17, 2016. President Andrea O’Brien called the meeting to order at 6:40 p.m. and Roll Call was answered by 30 members with “My favorite quilt magazine”. Visitors were Sue and Sandy (sisters of Beverly Compton), and Kathleen Winkleman. Kathleen later paid her dues and became a member.
The minutes were approved as sent out via email and the postal service. Joan Harrison presented the Treasurer’s Report and it was also approved. Elsie thanked Jo Conklin for distributing the new directories. A thank you note was sent to Eileen Bradley for making the directories as this was her first time to do something like this.
Andrea went over the By-Laws, Policy, and Programs for 2016-2017. Other items discussed were the Fun and Games Committee, the Logistics/Set Up Committee, and the Ad Hoc Committee. In #6 of the Policies & Procedures section it was suggested the wording be changed from “amount estimated” to “estimated amount.” After discussion and on a motion by Alice Allinson, and a second by Linda Kowalski, the Policies & Procedures were passed unanimously as changed.
- The Mark Twain First Annual Quilt Show at Florida, MO, is October 15-16, 2016. Their “show rules” were circulated.
- Andrea reported she and John have visited several quilt shows/meetings in Iowa recently and she was able to promote our 2017 Quilt Show to them. She noted neat ideas can be gleaned from attending these quilt shows/meetings. Some Guilds have a drawing at their monthly meetings.
- At our September 21, meeting we are invited to bring a fat quarter/quarters to the meeting. For each fat quarter you bring, your name will be put into the drawing and the winner will receive all the fat quarters.
- Anyone having extra greeting cards can give them to the Courtesy Committee for their use: Sympathy, Get Well, and Thinking of You cards are used most.
- The State Quilter’s Guild will meet in October. On October 23, Jenny Doan will have a special presentation and on October 27, Mary Fons will have a Trunk Show at this meeting.
- The Springfield Quilt Show is September 8-10, and Karen Farnsworth will teach a class at this event.
- Our 2017 Quilt Show will be June 2-3, 2017, at the William Matthew Middle School.
- Linda Kowalski, Diane Bloskovich, and Shelley Pagliai are on the raffle quilt committee.
- Barb Bevell reported on Shelley Pagliai’s lecture at Macon.
- Celia Riggle was thanked for 75 kits she made for “Days For Girls,” and were sent to Muskota, IL.
- Eight (8) winning quilts from the 2016 Quilt Show were pictured on the front of the 2016-17 Program Books. We were asked to name each quilt and the person showing the quilt. Rose Marie Smith, Bonnie Schultz, Barb Bevell and Shelley Pagliai each had 3 of them correct and received prizes.
On November 3, there will be a Quilt Show at the Kirksville Art Center, with the theme “Folk Art.” Elsie will invite a person from this group to our September 21 meeting to give additional details about this display.
Andrea asked how many would be interested in going on a Shop Hop on a Saturday. Let Andrea know if you are interested.
The 2015-16 UFO Challenge awards were made.
- The 1st drawing was only for those who had completed all 12 of their projects. Mary Magruder was the winner of a $25 gift certificate from Missouri Star Quilting, Hamilton.
- The second drawing was for those who had not completed all their UFO’s but could have one entry for each UFO they did complete. Liz Mills was the recipient of a $15 gift certificate from Missouri Star Quilting.
- The third drawing was for all participants, but there could be no duplicate winners. Cindy Spearman received a $10 gift certificate from Missouri Star Quilting.
- The 2016-17 UFO Challenge rules were circulated and that begins in September, when we will be asked to fill out our challenges for the year.
Project Linus needs quilts—100 by the end of August, 100 more by the end of September, and 900 by December. They can be 40”x 60” or 50” x 72”. Liz Mills is the contact person for this.
Bonnie Schultz reported Brenda Moore fell recently and will have surgery soon. Carol Snider’s son will have surgery August 19, for the removal of a toe. Cindy Spearman is in Stage 4 cancer. Kay Beach is going day by day.
SHOW & TELL:
- 9-patch quilt from a Jelly Roll.
- Wall hanging.
Rose Marie Smith:
- Edina raffle quilt and pillowcases (she had tickets, also)
- “Maizie Daisy.”
- “Texas Tumbleweed,” (Bonnie Hunter); quilted by Mary Shoaff.
- “Star Flowers” from March Retreat;
- Smaller version of “Star Flowers”—blocks are half-size and set on point
- “Block of the Month” for Sew Sweet Quilt Shop—modern version.
- Irish Chain in browns; purchased at a garage sale for $5.
- Maroon/blue plaid “Ragtime” quilt;
- Quilt in two little girl prints;
- Pink/cream Block of the Month with digitized embroidery
- Quilted Sweatshirt.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:26 p.m.
Kathy East, Secretary