The 2018 HOF Challenge has been revealed!! Will you be participating? We hope so. Start thinking about it and get started. You have less than a year…
For a printable copy: HOF Quilt Guild Challenge 2018
Log Cabin with Your Birthstone Color as Center Color
History of Log Cabin Block: This block has been traced back to ancient Egypt. However, it became most notably popular in the late 1800’s. It is said that the center square of a log cabin quilt block represents the hearth of a log cabin and is the “heart” of the home. For this reason, many traditional log cabin quilts will feature a red center square. Each of the logs around the center are looked at as “building blocks” to that home. With such a rich background, log cabins are great quilts to give as a gift for a housewarming.
History of Birthstones: Experts believe that birthstones can be traced back to the Bible. In Exodus 28, Moses sets forth directions for making special garments for Aaron, the High Priest of the Hebrews. Specifically, the breastplate was to contain twelve precious gemstones, representing the twelve tribes of Israel. In the 1930s, these gemstones were identified and one assigned for each month of the year.
Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild 2018 Challenge
- Pick any pattern of the Log Cabin quilt block that you wish to use. This is a very old, traditional quilt block, and patterns can be easily found in magazine or online. A few examples are shown below.
- Use your birthstone color as the center block color (#1 in the photos below). You can also use your birthstone color in other places in the quilt, too, but it needs recognizable in the center of each block.
- Your quilt should be made with a recognizable Log Cabin pattern, using a minimum of nine blocks.
- Quilt can be any size, but must be a minimum of 42” x 42”.
- Quilt must be completely finished (including binding and label) to be entered in the challenge at the September 2018 meeting, and be shown in the HOF Quilt Show in 2019 as part of the Guild challenge.
|January: Garnet/Deep Red|
|March: Aquamarine/Light turquoise|
|June: Pearl or Moonstone/White|
|July: Ruby/Bright Red|
|August: Peridot/Olive or Dark Green|
|October: Tourmaline or Opal/Pink or Cream|
|November: Topaz or Citrine/Gold|
|December: Tanzanite or Zircon/Turquoise & Blue combo|