The 32nd annual Hands of Friendship Quilt Show will be held Friday, June 2, 2017 from 3 – 7 pm, and Saturday, June 3, from 9 am – 4 pm. The quilt show will be located at the William Matthew Middle School, 1515 S. Cottage Grove Avenue, Kirksville, MO. You are invited to attend, and encouraged to enter one or more quilts into our show.
To enter quilts into the show, you may enter your quilt in one of two ways:
Please complete one entry form per quilt. You may enter more than one quilt in any of the categories listed on the form. Due to space limitations, quilts will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
Deadline for entries is May 12, 2017.
Thank you for your entry. If you missed the deadline, please consider entering your quilt in the 2018 Show.
A fabulous time was had by all of those attending the Hands of Friendship Annual Christmas party. Check out the fun we had as we played “Strip Poker”using the Left/Right/Center rules. We used 2 1/2″ strips of fabric for “money” and screams of laughter could be heard from around the room as fabric was won and lost with the roll of the die.
Donations were taken for the Food Pantry and for Katy Fine Newman, a fellow quilter, who lost her home in a recent fire. Members filled a basket to overflowing of fabric and supplies for her. All fabric strips from the game were given to Katy, too.
A big “thank you” to the committee who put the party together and did the wonderful decorating. And thanks to Randy Smith for the beautiful music. The catered meal was awesome, too!
Our Community Service Committee has been very busy making pillows for the Dialysis Clinic in Kirksville, Missouri.
Connie Douvier, representing Project Linus, was the November program. She explained how Project Linus got started, what type of blankets are accepted, where and when the event is held, and the area in which they serve. For more information, check out the North Central Missouri Project Linus on Facebook.
Blankets accepted: Quilts that are quilted or tied; fleece blankets with crocheted edges; fleece blankets with tied edges; or crocheted or knitted afghgans. (See detailed instructions)
Next Event Date: February 18, 2017
Location: The Moose Lodge, Kirksville, Missouri
Territory served: From the Mississippi River, west, to Chilocothe, Missouri, and from the Iowa border, south, to Columbia, Missouri.
- There is a need for 800 more quilts for the National Guard.
- Project Linus will label the blankets. You can add a label if you like, but no personal information is allowed.
- Drop off completed blanket at The Quilted Square, in Kirksville, Missouri.
The Community Service committee, under the direction of Renae Farnsworth, presented many beautiful quilts to veterans in the northeast Missouri area. Some of the photos of the presentations are shown below.
October 19, 2016
The 2016 Challenge results was revealed at our October meeting. Eight 2016 Challenge Quilts were displayed and voted on by the group. The theme was “Any block made in 3 different sizes.”
(L-R) Linda Kowalski, Bonnie Schultz, Meredith Willcox, Shelly Pagliai, Mary Magruder, Andrea O’Brien, Joan Harrison (not pictured, Jo Conklin)
Members voted on their favorites and the winners were:
1st Place — Shelly Pagliai
2nd Place — Mary Magruder
3rd Place — Andrea O’Brien
These quilts will be displayed at the 2017 Quilt Show in the “Challenge Quilt” category. Others who made the challenge quilts but did not have them completed for this meeting can display their quilts in the “Challenge Quilt” category at the 2017 Quilt Show.
Well, folks, it’s that time of the year. Time to make out your UFO list and start chipping away at it!! This is your chance to finish a few of those UFOs you’ve been putting off. Not only will you feel good about finishing something, you’ll have a chance to win valuable prizes! So, get your list together and fill out an official “Block” at the meeting. NOTE: If you can’t attend the meeting in September or October, please email Barb (email@example.com) with your list and she’ll fill out one for you.
GOAL: The goal of this challenge is to help you finish some of your UFOs throughout the year.
- In September, you will fill out a 12-part “Block” with potential UFOs* you would like to finish within one year. (*NOTE: If you do not have any UFOs, please list Kits/Projects you have already purchased and plan to start and finish within the year.)
- You’ll have one month to adjust the entries in your “Block”, then after that, your projects stay as listed.
- The “Block” will be kept in a notebook and brought to each meeting.
- When the item is finished, you will color in your “piece” on the Block. You may fill out an additional “Block” once you fill up the first one.
- Each month at Show and Tell, you are encouraged to show (or share if you don’t have the item anymore) your completed item.
- Contest runs one year, from September 2016 to August 2017.
PRIZES: At the end of the year, we’ll have 3 drawings:
- First drawing: Only those who complete their entire sheet of 12 UFOs may participate in this drawing. One entry per person, per completed sheet(s).
- Second drawing: You’ll get one entry for each completed UFO. The more UFOs you complete, the better your chances of winning.
- Third drawing: Every participant (even if they don’t finish anything on the list) will get one entry added to the basket, along with those names in the second drawing.
No duplicate winners.