HANDS OF FRIENDSHIP QUILT GUILD
SEPTEMBER 20, 2017
The Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild met Wednesday, September 20, 2017, at the Adair County Annex. President Brenda Moore called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m. Roll call was answered by 39 members. Guests Judy Gooch, Kneka Smith, Michaella Peck, Jessica Jones, and Meghan Jones were introduced. Several of our guests became members tonight.
The President announced the September birthdays and Treasurer Joan Harrison gave the Treasurer’s Report, with little activity this month. Minutes of the August meeting were approved as sent out.
Kneka Smith, spoke on behalf of the Girl Scouts and told about an upcoming project/competition. The Girl Scouts are required to use three (3) fabrics that are provided by the Girl Scouts. They can use other fabrics in the block, but they MUST use a part of the three fabrics provided. They will meet ½ day on October 21,when they will design and cut their pieces, and another half day on November 11, when they will sew their blocks together. Both these sessions will begin at 9:00 a.m. Extra machines will be needed and several Guild members volunteered to bring one and assist however they can. This project will be held at the Kirksville Art Center’s current location on Baltimore Street in the old US Cellular building. To date, 13 young ladies have signed up to attend.
Andrea O’Brien presented a proposal made by the Kirksville Arts Council for the Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild to meet in their temporary location in the old U.S. Cellular Building on the corner of Baltimore and La Harpe Streets, across the street south of Faith Lutheran Church. When the Arts Council rebuilds in the future, we can also meet in their new building. There will be no rental fee and there is more room in this location than at the Adair County Annex Building. Amanda Moots made a motion to accept this offer of the Kirksville Arts Council, seconded by Sarah Spearman, and the motion carried unanimously. It was agreed to keep the Adair County Annex as a backup. Quilt ‘Til U Wilt will be at the Adair County Annex for the rest of 2017, and our regular meetings will be at the Kirksville Arts Council building beginning next month on October 18, 2017. Andrea will contact the Kirksville Art Center with this information.
Rose Marie Smith needs updates of addresses, phone numbers, TONIGHT for the 2017-2018 program book. Also, ALL committees must be filled tonight so the new book can be printed!
Quilt Show Committee sign-ups are also needed tonight! Linda Kowalski volunteered to make the raffle quilt for the 2018 Quilt Show and Carol Cunningham volunteered to bind it. A BIG thank you to both ladies!
Courtesy: John Harrison has had 3 blood transfusions recently. Marsha Yahl had a problem with her foot but is doing better. She is currently wearing a “boot.”
Twelve quilts were displayed in the Reveal. All quilts were to have curves in their design with Kay Beach and Diane Jarvis in charge of the Reveal. Following the secret ballot vote, the following winners were announced:
- Debra Freese: $25 gift certificate from Wildflower Quilting
- Linda Kowalski: $20 gift certificate from Grandma’s Room (Mary Shoaf)
- Diane Jarvis $15 gift certificate to Hobby Lobby
Other participants were: Kay Beach, Elsie Gaber, Joan Harrison, Andrea O’Brien, Marilyn Peck, Cathy Poyner, Celia Riggle, Bonnie Schultz, and Rose Marie Smith.
2016-2017 UFO REVEAL:
Barb Bevell announced that 200 UFO’s were completed this year and there was a drawing for the following prizes:
- Cathy Poyner: $25 gift certificate (MO Star Quilts) “Completed all twelve projects”
- Kathy East: $15 gift certificate (MO Star Quilts) “One chance/each UFO completed”
- Karen Farnsworth: $10 gift certificate (MO Star Quilts) “One chance for filling out a UFO form whether they completed any UFO’s or not”
The 2017-2018 HOF UFO Challenge has officially started. The goal is to encourage members to write down their UFOs and try to finish them throughout this next year. Prizes will be drawn for three categories:
- Drawing #1: Those who have completed all twelve projects
- Drawing #2: One chance/each UFO completed
- Drawing #3: One chance for just participating
The “block” was handed out. Members will have 1 month to fill them in and the drawing will be AUGUST, 2018.
CONGRATULATIONS to Shelly and Rose Marie!! It was announced that Shelly Pagliai received “Honorable Mention” at the Paducah Quilt Show and Rose Marie Smith has a quilt in the Iowa Quilt Show.
The program in October will be presented by Gloria Horne. She is the State Director for the ”Quilts of Valor” program.
- Meredith Willcox:
- Quilt in navy blue;
- Counted cross-stitch with a Christmas theme;
- Embroidered butterflies with lime green;
- Stack & Whack in navy blue with dark blue back.
- Amanda Moots:
- Linus blanket, of patchwork, hand quilted by her.
- Barb Roberts:
- 3 old antique blocks that were purchased & she hand-quilted them, using antique green fabric.
- Alice Allinson:
- Baby Quilt for co-worker who is having a girl; in pinks with pink giraffes.
- King-size wedding quilt in golds and cream
- Susan Chidester:
- Large 4-patches in oranges & light green, outlined in white with orange backing;
- Large diamond-shaped pieces in teal & purples.
- A challenge quilt in moss green, purples, and lavender.
- Kathaleen Winkleman:
- First completed quilt made from Jelly Roll in purple/aqua. She said it was a “learning experience.”
- A “tell”: Finished two other quilts for granddaughters.
- Barb Bevell:
- Memory Pillow for husband from his work shirts (he works for Southwestern Bell). She utilized the buttons on the front of the shirt as the closure.
- First “block of the month” fromShelley Pagliai’s newest pattern, “Sew Sweet”.
- Mary Shoaf:
- She took a Lenny Wiener Class and made two portrait quilts from photos for her daughters.
- Marilyn Peck:
- Quilt top to go in “great-grandbaby’s hope chest” even though none of her grandchildren are married at this time.
- Maria Bradshaw:
- Linus blanket in dark blue with lavender back.
- Mary Magruder:
- Veteran’s quilt top in “Spin Cycle” pattern; blue print with flag print.
- Kathy East:
- Veteran’s quilt top in “Spin Cycle” pattern, red print with flag print.
President Brenda Moore reminded everyone that the October 18 meeting will be at the Kirksville Art Center building and it will be open by 6:00 p.m.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:46 p.m.
Kathy East, Secretary.