HANDS OF FRIENDSHIP QUILT GUILD MINUTES
MAY 17, 2017
The Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild met Wednesday, May 17, 2017, at the Adair County Annex. The meeting was called to order by Elsie Gaber, Vice-President, in the absence of President Andrea O’Brien. Roll Call was answered by 36 members with “My Favorite Summer Activity.”
The UFO Challenge Book was circulated for updates.
NEW BUSINESS: To date, 120 quilts are registered for the Quilt Show. We need more quilt entries and the deadline has been extended to May 24, 2017. Our BLOG contains a downloadable entry form in addition to the online entry form. The Directory has been updated by Elsie Gaber.
Rose Marie Smith announced four (4) veteran quilts will be presented on Saturday, June 3, at l:00 p.m. Presenters are to contact each veteran and make the presentation. Quilts are to be shown on the Community Service table. Five quilts are to be presented to the George Rea Cancer Center.
The Guild’s BLOG is up to date. Next month the Quilt Show results will be there.
Items for the “Curve” challenge are to be completed (including quilting) by the October 18th meeting and we will vote on them at that time.
The Retreat was great!
Diane Bloskovich presented the proposed slate of officers for 2017-2018: President-Brenda Moore; Vice-President- Rose Marie Smith; Secretary-Kathy East; and Treasurer-Joan Harrison. We will vote on the slate of Officers at the June 21 meeting. Thanks were expressed to those in charge of the six (6) Quilt ‘Til U Wilt sessions held this year,
SHOW & TELL:
- Brenda Moore: “Sea Glass,” graduation quilt for a granddaughter in blues, greens, & yellows.
- Gyla Elmore: “Hot Rod panels with checkered border, and orange back, made for her brother.
- Meredith Willcox: pieced scrap quilt for Judy Klinginsmith, who is at the Arbors; and
- Barn quilt with embroidered barns.
- Alice Allinson: Black & white “dress” on white, embellished with stones/sparkles.
- Carol Cunningham: “Ugly quilt” (her terminology): hand-embroidered State flowers, on
- plain light-colored squares made by her mother, with borders of red, white, & blue.
- Rose Marie Smith: Veteran quilts pieced by Susan Guffey; Quilt by Wildflower Quilting, both to be given away.
- Amanda Moots: queen size “Flower Garden” hexies. She asked for suggestions to be made to this quilt and was advised to leave it as is.
- Erin Northcutt: Wall-hanging made for a friend, star in bright pinks/black.
- Susan Guffey: Flannel “rag-time” quilt made from items in her closet.
- Andrea O’Brien: Table-Runner in yellow & blue; and Table runner with butterflies.
- Kathy East: Veteran Quilt made for her cousin; to be given to him June 10, in Pleasant Hill, MO.
Gyla Elmore was the winner of the Fat Quarter Drawing.
- Alice Allinson announced assignments will be listed. Quilts will be hung on skirt hangers and approximately 1,000 skirt hangers have been provided by Janet of J. C. Penney Co.
- Help will be needed for the hanging of the quilts.
- Check-in will be 7:30-9:00 a.m. Friday, June 2, 2017, inside the north entrance of the Ray Miller School.
- Lunch hours need to be staggered on Friday between 3:00-7:00 p.m. There will be two (2) bed turnings on Friday and 3 bed turnings on Saturday, along with special events at the top of each hour.
- Jana Russon will display the books about the Kirksville Art Building fire, and will have them for sale.
- Diane Bloskovich is in charge of the kitchen on Saturday, and distributed a sheet for sign-up to provide the various kitchen needs.
- Rooster Creek Quilting sent a gift.
- The Kirksville Chamber of Commerce Newsletter is advertising our Quilt Show. It was emphasized that “Feedback” is extremely important.
- Kay Beach needs assistance with the Bed Turning. Please see her to see how you can assist.
- New members need to realize it will be cool in the building, so they may want to “layer” their clothing.
- We have 12 vendors this year.
- There will be a tribute to Charlie Beach.
- There will be two machines set up for people to sew.
- Viewer’s Choice ballots will be counted and the ribbons will be attached to the winning quilts by 3:00 p.m.
- If you wish to turn in your raffle tickets tonight, give them to Diane Bloskovich, and give the money to Jo Ann Harrison.
- The raffle quilt drawing will be at 3:30 p.m. on June 3.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 p.m.