Posts tagged ‘Miscelleanous’
At our Christmas party at the Kirksville Arts Association Building, we were able to view an art exhibit of some of the quilts and other items that were damaged by the fire December, 2016. Also on display, were new quilts that were recreated after the fire. Please look at the photos and remember.
The January program was pure delight! It was given by our own Marilyn Pecks’ granddaughter, Michaella Peck. Since Marilyn and Keith were in Texas and could not be at the meeting, we were able to hook up a conference call so they could watch her presentation.
Michaella gave a slide show and had many beautiful items on display for us to see. She even wore some of the clothing and described how the women made the beautiful garments. This program was representative of her recent trip to Guatemala.
Pictured with Michaella, below, is our own, Meredith Willcox. Thanks, Michaella, for a wonderful program!
Well, folks, it’s that time of the year. Time to make out your UFO list and start chipping away at it!! This is your chance to finish a few of those UFOs you’ve been putting off. Not only will you feel good about finishing something, you’ll have a chance to win valuable prizes! So, get your list together and fill out an official “Block” at the meeting. NOTE: If you can’t attend the meeting in September or October, please email Barb (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your list and she’ll fill out one for you.
GOAL: The goal of this challenge is to help you finish some of your UFOs throughout the year.
- In September, you will fill out a 12-part “Block” with potential UFOs* you would like to finish within one year. (*NOTE: If you do not have any UFOs, please list Kits/Projects you have already purchased and plan to start and finish within the year.)
- You’ll have one month to adjust the entries in your “Block”, then after that, your projects stay as listed.
- The “Block” will be kept in a notebook and brought to each meeting.
- When the item is finished, you will color in your “piece” on the Block. You may fill out an additional “Block” once you fill up the first one.
- Each month at Show and Tell, you are encouraged to show (or share if you don’t have the item anymore) your completed item.
- Contest runs one year, from September 2016 to August 2017.
PRIZES: At the end of the year, we’ll have 3 drawings:
- First drawing: Only those who complete their entire sheet of 12 UFOs may participate in this drawing. One entry per person, per completed sheet(s).
- Second drawing: You’ll get one entry for each completed UFO. The more UFOs you complete, the better your chances of winning.
- Third drawing: Every participant (even if they don’t finish anything on the list) will get one entry added to the basket, along with those names in the second drawing.
No duplicate winners.
We had a WONDERFUL and fun retreat featuring our own designer-extraordinaire, Shelly Pagliai. Shelly taught us how to construct the “Star Flower” block, gave us short-cuts to trimming half-square triangles, and showed us how she set the blocks on point.
Not to be out done, the Retreat Committee (Jo Conklin, Di Zook, and Bonnie Schultz) kept us constantly laughing and having fun. Drawings every 15 minutes for prizes, snacks on the table, and a fantastic breakfast and lunch were just part of their plan. They also decorated the Annex with “Barn Blocks” that will be featured in the upcoming Hwy 36 Shop Challenge, starting in April.
A BIG thank you goes out to the committee and Shelly for a successful Spring Retreat!
Below are pictures taken throughout the day…
Check out the upcoming Quilt Show in Brookfield. Looks like fun. Put March 19 on your calendar and let’s get a carload of people together and go!
Tonight’s the night. It’s meeting time!
Just a quick reminder to bring your list of UFO’s (unfinished objects). We will be filling out the yearly UFO challenge “block”. For each UFO you complete within the year (and hopefully show at a guild meeting), you’ll get 1 chance at the drawing at the end of the year. When you fill up your paper “block”, you’ll receive an additional entry in the drawing. If you choose to participate, not only will you have a chance to win some great prizes, you’ll have finished some of your UFO’s!
The August Program features our very own Kathy Krogh, demonstrating the “10 Minute Table Runner”. What a quick and easy way to make gifts for the upcoming holiday season. You won’t want to miss it!
And finally, Linda Pickett will give us last minute information on the Bonnie Hunter retreat in September. Folks, the time is QUICKLY approaching. Two years of hard work and anticipation are coming to a close. Thank you to Linda and her committee for all their hard work. We know it will be a GREAT retreat!
Two reminders about the June 17 meeting…
1. It’s is a carry-in dinner as a thank you for everyone who assisted with the Quilt Show. Please bring a dish (and the recipe) to share. There won’t be any meat provided this year, so several of us need to bring a meat dish. (If no one does, we’ll enjoy a variety of side dishes and dessert!)
2. Bring FALL fabrics to give to Linda, Kay, and Jane, who will use the fabric to make “10 minute table runners” as door prizes for the Bonnie Hunter trunk show.. Each runner takes 1/2 yard of one fabric and 1/3 yard of coordinating fabric. All FALL fabric is appreciated! Thank you Linda, Kay, and Jane for coordinating this and making the table runners.
See you on Wednesday at the Methodist Church!
Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild Kirksville, Missouri, Honors Jean Nevins
April 18, 2015
Jean Nevins was a member of the Quilters Guild over 25 years. With her recent passing, the Guild wanted to honor her by making a quilt that would be auctioned at the Rotary Club of Kirksville–Thousand Hills’ 3rd annual reverse raffle fund raiser. The guild received six quilt squares Jean had previously made and integrated her work into the quilt. Additionally, 22 Quilt Guild members made squares to contribute to the beauty of the quilt. The center of the quilt is the Apache Wedding Prayer stitched by Elsie Gaber—a project started in 1984 and finished on the day that Jean passed. A special label made by Pat Kurtzeman was sewn on the quilt that reads: in celebration of Jean and Jim Nevins, friends, artists, quilter. Hands of Friendship Quilt Guild 2015. Shelly Pagliai quilted and bound the quilt.
The Apache Wedding Prayer
Now you will feel no rain, For each of you will be shelter to the other.
Now you will feel no cold, For each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there is no more loneliness, For each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two bodies, But there is one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place, To enter into the days of your togetherness.
And may your days be good and long upon the earth.